Sunday, October 4, 2015

Wow.

I've thought a lot about ideas for blog posts in the last few months. I didn't realize just how long it had been since I sat down and WROTE one and POSTED it... That's something I want to get better at! I guess you could call it a hiatus, of sorts, when I started working with a non-profit in my "free time" and then combined with a super-early spring that set my allergies at max speed... I spent no time on materials, or really anything work-related, at home (The non-profit work was fascinating, though, and helped me balance other parts of my life). But now I'm back!

I'm still with the non-profit, but we are in a lull after some crazy stuff happened in the crazy parts of the world in which we were operating. I was not anywhere near those locations (for a myriad of reasons!!!), but it was edge-of-your-seat sometimes and completely different from my Speech Life. Now that the school year is in full swing, I am working to discover a good balance between my Work Life, my Home Life, and my need to be of service to others (Combat Vets/ISIS Victims/People in Dire Need). It's a work in progress. Always.

On to the Speechie Stuff!! I'm scattered, as always, but am *LOVING* my new location!!! I was asked to move to the middle school, which was a surprise, but I had no idea how rough things were in my Elementary until I experienced the awesomeness that is my new school!! Personalities, entrenched belief systems about staff and students and procedures, and an office in an old hallways all combined to make for a less-than-ideal setting. While I adored my students and some of my coworkers, I am please with the transition. My new office is full of light and STORAGE!!!! With tons of built-in shelves that are PERFECT for binders! We also have 3 new teachers in SpEd and, so far, we are getting along fabulously! The only things I really miss are the Littles (preschoolers and Kindergarteners) and using a table low enough to use a yoga ball during therapy. Aside from that? Happiest SLP Around!

Moving to 6-8 grade needs has been interesting for many reasons, and the biggest challenge has been MATERIALS. When we put in our material request last year, I didn't know I would be at the middle school AND our supervisor was leaving and didn't quite order everything we asked for... So I got no new materials and the articulation cards are older than I am (and I'm 31, so it's not like I'm brand new)... So. Bless my TpT and IG SLP peeps! I am *so* glad that I got a new HP printer with Instant Ink over the summer. I love back to college sales for technology. I've gone over my 300 page limit for both August and September, but I don't care. It's still way cheaper than buying ink like I used to!!! I've used the money I saved to get more products on TpT. (Later this week I will share some of what I've made and am loving, but it's Sunday night and everything is at work, so no coherent sharing right now...)

Here are a couple pictures of my amazing new office in various stages of transformation. Yes. I have a lot of stuff. No. All of those binders are not full. Nor are all of the drawers full. Every SLP who had used that office over the lat 8 years apparently took over a new drawer, so there were eight (YES, 8) different drawers with hanging files / folders / copied articles / materials / random notes / student work / etc that needed to be cleaned out. And that took awhile. A long while. With many papercuts, shredding, sweating, and some swearing. After being out with a stomach virus for Thursday and Friday last week, I will be cleaning and disinfecting like crazy, so I'll have some updated pictures to share soon!!

Thanks for reading!!! Shorter update next time....
Sarah



Blank Slate
Board with materials on rings hanging below.

Just part of my amazing desk with some of my binders!
Board, CCSS, Quotes. A very big wall to add interest and info to!




No comments:

Post a Comment